Wednesday, October 2, 2013

#31 Days - Site of Our 2014 Garden

 Secret Obsession  
  



OK, for Wordless Wednesday I try most often to be actually wordless in the body of the post, but this month that is just NOT going to work.

In the foreground of the picture is an early shot of our 2013 garden.  Back when there was still hope for the tomatoes.  Back when there weren't even flowers on the pepper plant at the end (from which we actually got several usable peppers - yay!).  Back when you could actually see the dirt around the pumpkin plants and their little cardboard sprout cups had not yet disintegrated.

In 2014, we will have pretty much the entire field - a couple of acres if we need/want it.  Where our property ends, my FIL's begins.

We're hoping to put in a variety of vegetables, fruits, herbs, some grain and some animals.

*+*+*+*+*

The October Daily Challenge prompt for the day is:

"Get a certain or favorite lyrics from your favorite song and tell us how it inspires or describes you."

"Amazing Grace" 3rd verse:

"Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home."


I'm  52 years old today.  I've been through some things, and done some things that ... well, didn't make the world a better place; let's put it that way.  But I'm here, and I'm learning.  Plain and simple, if not for God's grace, I would not be here.

Also, I like a line from "Sweet Hour of Prayer" -  "...that saves me from a world of care..."

On my rebel side, I love Little Big Town's "Boondocks":

"I feel no shame, I'm proud of where I came from,
I was born and raised in the boondocks.
One thing I know, no matter where I go,
I leave my heart and soul in the boondocks."

In fact, I like that song so much, I went and watched in on YouTube.   Check it out here if you like.  Don't be surprised if your toes 'commence a-tappin'. 

I like the song because it expresses who I am and how I feel about that.  Now some people, if they are rich enough, or educated enough or high enough on the social register might look down on a simple country woman like myself.  Their loss.  I know who I am and these days I quite like me. :O)

Thanks to blog recipe challenges and the like, I'm developing a like for and comfortableness in my kitchen.  And although I hope to have animals on the farm for eggs, wool and even some meat, I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with 'cleaning' them myself.  And I love live theatre, ballet and opera ... which is something of which we don't get a lot around here.  But when my plays start being produced on Broadway, my compensation package should include a helicopter ride to the top of the theatre building, cause Mama doesn't do big city driving.

So while my practices may be simple, I am far from it.  I'm like a patchwork quilt - bits and pieces of a lot of different fabrics, stitched to God (my backing) with a lot of love.

Question:

How would you describe yourself in terms of your favorite craft or hobby?

*+*+*+*

And, as it is the first Wednesday of the month, it's time for the IWSG (Insecure Writer's Support Group), hosted at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog until the dedicated site is up.  See/use the link button to visit more ISWG-ers (Insecure Writer's Support Groupies). *lol*

The hardest thing for me about writing is sitting down and starting.  The negative voices start in early, and continue to haunt me in constant 'psycho-babble'.  For instance, I am not satisfied with this post.  I think it conveys the idea(s) I intended, but the writing is not 'tight'.  And right now, I'm not sure what I could do to make it better.  But, as my 11th grade English teacher once said, "For every great line of poetry you write, you will write at least one line of utter garbage."  So I'll keep writing.

6 comments:

  1. I loved all of your different things you've posted about today, LuAnn! I'm glad you are grow comfortable being in the kitchen. Your favorite hymn is one of mine also...my favorite verse is verse two. I like the way you have described yourself...like a patchwork quilt with God being your backing! What a beautiful word picture you just penned with those words, LuAnn! I enjoyed my time here today...very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Dianna, I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit! *happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm like a patchwork quilt - bits and pieces of a lot of different fabrics, stitched to God (my backing) with a lot of love." I love this bit you wrote about yourself, LuAnn!!
    I think we need to see a picture of a full harvest garden along side the starter garden. ;) I must say I'm so happy for you to have a home farm in the making...but a little jealous as I would love to have a pile of tomatoes and pumpkins right now from my own garden. Someday....
    Hope your day is Extraordinary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Diane! I think that part was inspired (we all know from where, right). :O) Hubby just pointed out our first baby pumpkin to me in the garden. Then he turned and asked me if he needed to take a picture for me when he got back from his errands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy late birthday!! That is one of my favorite hymns!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Jocelyn. I had a great day! I've heard AG played just on the bagpipes, by Patsy Cline, by a primitive church back in the day where the preacher had to say each line before the congregation could sing it because they could not read. Each gives me the shivers.

    ReplyDelete