Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#AtoZChallenge - All Gallow's Eve - Q & R


QIANA, ROPE


Originally, I was going to use the name "JC" for the MC's name - short for something like Jesse Christina.  But then I thought I'd change the C to a Q (for the express purposes of having something to write about for the letter "Q" in this challenge!

My other choice was 'quince' as in the fruit.  It looks somewhat like an apple or pear, sometimes bumpy and kind of hard to eat (if memory serves).  My mother used to make a very sweet but delicious jelly from quince when we were growing up.

Anyway, back to the name.  I asked my 12-year old daughter to look up some "Q" names for me and she printed out a list - there were like all of 5 of them.  Qiana resonated the most.  But then Jesse Qiana sounded odd, so I may just go with the one name.  It could bring upsome interesting "Star Trek" related 'Q'-bits in All Gallow's Eve!



With a name like "All Gallow's Eve", it almost scream for a rope to appear, at least in this case.  (In one of the last books I read, Wicked Stitch by Amanda Lee, the victim was strangled by someone using a scarf on which the victim was still working!)

Luckily, the county being a mining/farming area, everybody and their dog has access to rope so it doesn't really narrow the field of suspects.  But further into the investigation maybe something about the component materials or wear patterns could pop-up.

~~~oOo~~~

Click on the sunflower button at the top of the page to go to the 2015 Blogging from A to Z Challenge participant list.  There is something for everyone on that list, as there are several hundred participants!

8 comments:

  1. Quince... I remember seeing and tasting this fruit for the first time (and the only time, till date) during our visit to Kashmir. It is kind sour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my recollection too, Shilpa. Not for eating like an apple. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. I kind of like the name Qiana, but I'm sure it would always be one that had to be spelled :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q words are not easy to come up with, i made it easy on myself and did "quotes." Qiana sounds like a very pretty name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi! Just seeing the spelling, I thought it might be of Chinese origin, but I found out it means 'gracious' and most people with the name live in the US or UK.

      Delete
  4. Qiana could be the cat's name in "The Owl and the Pussycat", who ate quince with a runcible spoon...
    I like that name. But she would be perpetually asked to spell it!
    Donna
    A to Z Challenge
    Mainely Write

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, Donna, I myself kept trying to put a "u" in there. Maybe that's why "Q" would be a good nickname! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Qiana is a pretty name.

    I never tried quince. I wonder what it taste like. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete